2017 went by in an instant. In a few weeks, it will be a new year; a time to start fresh.
But before 2017 comes to an end, I’d like to look back on this year, as it has brought joy, excitement, sadness and most of all, memories. I can honestly say that I have no regrets to look back on. Although it wasn’t a spectacular, all I’ve wished for year, it certainly taught me a lot. And at the end of the day, this year is just one chapter in my book. It’s a continuation of a previous chapter and an introduction to a new one. And with every chapter, it is important to reflect on what I’ve learned….
- I’ve learned that you need to let go of what isn’t supposed to happen. While it’s hard to let go of things we think we want and things we think are for the best for us, we never know the true whole picture.
- I’ve learned that God takes things and people away from you for a reason. He knows when certain things have served their purpose.
- I’ve learned that experiences are way better than material things.
- I’ve learned that worrying changes nothing. NOT. A. SINGLE. THING. Plus, 90% of the time, the scenario you play in your head is much worse than reality.
- I’ve learned that you don’t always get closure. Sometimes things happen that are out of your control, and you just have to accept it and move on.
- I’ve learned that you need to ask for what you want. The worst thing that can happen is they say ‘no.’
- I’ve learned that every single person is struggling with something, and it is important to reach out.
- I learned that nurturing relationships is insanely important. You need relationships that inspire and motivate you, relationships that challenge and push you to strive for better.
- I’ve learned that comparing oneself to someone else does nothing but bring out jealousy, negativity and sadness.
- I’ve learned that you should listen to that little voice inside your head. Your gut instincts are usually right.
- I’ve learned that being vulnerable doesn’t mean you’re weak; it takes strength and courage. And it enables you to connect to others on a deeper level.
- I’ve learned that I don’t want to live in Illinois forever. My soul longs to travel.
- I’ve learned that you need to take good care of your health/body and not abuse it.
- I’ve learned that it is important to take accountability and apologize for the times you are your least favorite version of yourself.
- I’ve learned that people will judge others for the most trivial of things, but you don’t have to be one of those people.
- I have learned that whenever you encounter difficulties, there are always two options: go back to safety and comfort or go straight forward and grow.
- Most importantly, I’ve learned that no matter what happened this year, you and I are okay and we’ll continue to be okay as we ring in the New Year.
With that said, I am thankful for everything that has happened in 2017. Through the ups and down, theft good and bad, I’ve continued to grow. I continue to learn what I want in life, and what I am not willing to settle in. And I expect the same in the next year. I’m ready to embrace all that lies ahead in 2018. Let the new adventures begin.
What do you think?
What lessons have you learned throughout 2017? Any lesson in particular stand out? Share in the comments below or feel free to message me. I’d love to hear from you!
If you enjoyed this post, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by sharing it on social media and/or emailing it to a friend. Thank you!