Random Person: “Do you have kids?”
Me: “Yeah, I have an adorable, slightly neurotic 3 year old….dog.”
Another animal-centric holiday is upon us – Happy National Puppy Day!
March 23 marks a day when puppies of all breeds and sizes are recognized for their loyalty, lovability and downright cuteness. It’s a day dedicated to appreciating all that puppies do for us – from making us laugh to making us unnecessarily break out in baby-talk. Speaking of babies, puppies have all the best qualities of a baby minus the diapers, spitting up everywhere or possibility of growing up and stealing your money.
While family and friends are starting their own families, I’m over here debating how many dogs are considered too many, while I drink wine straight from the bottle. But don’t get me wrong…I love children and can’t wait to be a mom when the time is right. However, when I hear people experiencing frustration when it comes to their children, I love my dog a little more.
Today, let’s take a moment to remember why dogs can be better than children.
- Ever heard of a “guard kid?” Yeah, me neither.
- Dogs get neutered/spayed. No need to worry about if they are going to be staring on 16 & Pregnant.
- You never have to worry about where your dog is when midnight rolls around.
- Getting a dog doesn’t give you stretch marks.
- You don’t have to be a positive role model to a dog.
- Dogs are always happy to see you.
- Dogs don’t ignore you.
- You don’t have a choice of breeds or bloodlines when it comes to having baby.
- Dogs are furry and soft. Try to cuddle a baby…more often than not, they will try to pull your hair, while they stick their fingers in your mouth, eyes or nose.
- Dogs don’t have to be watched 24/7. Want to go out on a Friday night? Dogs don’t require a babysitter.
- Dogs are easy to please.
- Dogs don’t yell at you or talk back.
- Dogs practically entertain themselves.
- Housebreaking a dog only takes a few weeks.
- Dogs don’t throw temper tantrums.
- A dog’s whining can be stopped with a bone.
- Babies cost way more than dogs.
- A dog’s loyalty can’t be touched by a child or any other human being.
- You don’t have to send a dog to college.
- Dogs don’t require pre-planned meals. They get the same dinner every night without fail.
As people shared photos and videos of puppies on social media, the hashtag #NationalPuppyDay started trending. Needless to say, the constant stream of adorableness has made my day ten times better! So in honor of the very important day, here are some adorable photos of puppies that are sure to make your heart melt….